Finance Committee Meeting
All Members of Winsford Town Council (for attendance)
MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND THIS MEETING
You are summoned to attend a meeting of the Finance Committee to be held in the Winsford Town Council Offices, Wyvern House, The Drumber CW7 1AH on Monday 16th April 2018 at 6.30pm.
Town Clerk/Finance Officer
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Members must provide apologies to the Town Clerk before 5.00pm on the day of the meeting, together with reasons for their absence.
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members to declare any interest under the following categories:
- Disclosable Pecuniary Interest
- Outside Bodies Interest
- Family, Friend or Close Associate Interest
- MINUTES – To sign as a correct record, the Minutes of the meeting of the Finance Committee held on 19th March 2018 (‘A’)
- ARISING – any points of clarification from the above minutes.
- ACCOUNTS FOR APPROVAL
Schedule ‘B’ lists payments made since the last meeting
Schedule ‘C’ lists 2017-18 accounts for approval at this meeting
Schedule ‘D’ lists future (2018-19) expenditure for approval
Schedule ‘E’ lists supplementary accounts for approval
- BANK ACCOUNT MONTHLY RECONCILIATION STATEMENTS
Financial probity recommends regular reconciliation of the Town Council’s accounts. (‘F’)
- INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ANNUAL AUDIT
The internal audit of the Council’s accounts for 2016/17 will be held on Friday 8th June 2018.
Notice of the annual review of the Town Council’s accounts for the year ending 31st March 2018 has been received from the external auditors, PFK Littlejohn. The submission date for the Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR) is 11th June 2018. Given that the Town Council will be unable to meet this deadline due to its own meeting dates, this deadline has been extended to 25th June 2018.
The AGAR for 2017/18 will be submitted to the Finance Committee meeting scheduled for 18th June 2018.
A copy of the Council’s interim internal audit report, carried out on 26th February 2018 is attached for information. (‘G’)
- PAYMENTS SINCE THE LAST MEETING
Members are asked to note that the following payments have been made since the last meeting of the Finance Committee on 19th March 2018.
- Royal Mail – distribution of flyers relating to the Brunner Guildhall Open Day on 14th April 2018
£1067.82 (with VAT)
£889.85 (without VAT)
- The Leaflet Team – distribution of flyers relating to the Brunner Guildhall Open Day on 14th April 2018
£1050.00 (no VAT)
In all cases, an ‘urgent payments’ proforma was prepared and signed by the Clerk and two Town Councillors as per audit recommendations.
Members will note that the Royal Mail arrangement had to be cancelled (the Council is currently seeking a full refund).
- GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
Members will recall that the issue of GDPR was considered by the Town Council at its meeting in February 2018.
On that occasion it was noted that the Council needs to make preparations for the introduction of GDPR on 25th May 2018.
To this end, the Clerk has been considering different approaches to this work and has been approached by the Council’s internal auditor (JDH Business Services) with an offer to carry out the role of Data Protection Officer (DPO) on behalf of the Council.
GDPR will change the way in which councils use personal data in the delivery of services and part of the implementation of GDPR is for town councils to secure the provision of a DPO. It is unlikely that councils will be permitted to appoint the Clerk to this role and other internal staff are unlikely to have sufficient independence to carry out the role.
JDH Business Services Ltd has already made arrangements with a number of similar councils to Winsford and has provided a quote of the services they can provide as DPO. These include: –
- Supporting the completion of a data audit and data inventory before May 2018 in order to provide a data flowchart that details the nature, scope, purpose, timings and location of the council’s processing activities and associated risks using the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) guidance
- Carry out internal audits of compliance with GDPR requirements as part of overall internal audit work
- Provide best practice toolkits and provide guidance in completing Privacy Impact Assessments when required
- Provide First Point of Contact service for the ICO
- Raise awareness of data protection law and current issues
- Provide independent opinion on council decisions that have data protection implications
Although the Town Council will have ultimate responsibility for data protection law – this would be a highly useful resource to have in what is an increasingly complex field.
The annual fees quoted by JDH Business Services are £1,500 in the first year for this council and £1,300 in the second year.
Further information can be found in the relevant attachment. (‘H’)
Members are asked to consider the proposals set out here and approve or otherwise the appointment of JDH Business Services Ltd as the DPO for Winsford Town Council.
16th April 2018